If you know me, you know I LOVE chicken and rice. It’s been a while since I’ve had some orange chicken, so I had decided to tackle on my biggest recipe yet. You guessed it. Orange chicken. Here’s how I did it
What you’ll need:
- Chicken breast, boneless, skinless, diced
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 2 table spoons or orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of orange zest
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 cups of rice
- 2 cups of broccoli, steamed
- Bowl or plastic bag
What to do:
- Step 1: For the sauce, combine water, orange juice, lemon juice, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer.
- Step 2: Stir in grated orange zest, brown sugar, ginger root, garlic. Let cool. Keep half on the side.
- Step 3: Combine flour, half of sauce, diced chicken into a plastic bag or bowl. Shake or stir well and let marinate at least 15 minutes.
- Step 4: Boil rice and steam broccoli. Set aside.
- Step 5: Use olive oil to cook chicken on stove top. Remove from pot.
- Step 6: Add remaining sauce to heat.
- Step 7: Add cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water. Let thicken.
- Step 8: Stir together sauce and chicken.
- Step 9: Eat!
This was by far the most involved recipe I have tackled in life, but also the most rewarding. What recipes have challenged you?
Until next time…
– Jae Marie