When I was younger, the owner of the local pizza shop asked if I wanted to come behind the counter and make my own pie. I was nervous and said no, and still regret it until this day. I decided to make my own at-home version to somewhat live out that life-long dream. Here’s how I did it:
What you’ll need
- Pie crust – Similar to my apple pie, I opted for a pre-made crust, but if you want the full experience, try your own crust from scratch!
- 12 oz tomato paste (1 can)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Oregano, salt, pepper to taste
- Handful of basil leaves
- Olive oil to coat
- Toppings of your choice (ex. Chicken, pepperoni, olives, pineapple)
- Flour to dust
What to do
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine tomato paste, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and water for the sauce.
- Dust bottom of crust with flour to prevent sticking.
- Slice crust ends 1 inch deep. Fill with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Coat top of crust with olive oil.
- Top crust with sauce, remaining cheese and basil.
- Top with any other desired toppings.
- Place on wire rack of oven. *Make sure to place a cookie sheet with water on it on the bottom rack to catch any dripping.*
- Cook until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly, roughly 12 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
What have you been whipping up in the kitchen? I’d love to know!
Until next time…
– Jae Marie